Other Key Governance Volunteer Roles
As well as the committee there are other key governance volunteer roles that need to be performed within TASC.
The role of a swimming club welfare officer is essential in providing a first point of contact for children, parents and adults within the club who have a child safeguarding or welfare concern.
What do we and the club expect from a club welfare officer?
- To assist the club in implementing Wavepower, Swim England’s Child Safeguarding Policy and Procedures document.
- To be the first point of contact for club staff, volunteers, young people, and parents for any issues concerning child welfare, poor practice or potential or alleged abuse.
- To ensure that all incidents are reported correctly and referred, in accordance with Wavepower.
- To act independently and in the best interests of a child at the club, putting their needs above that of others and the club itself.
- To ensure that all relevant club members, volunteers and staff have an up to date DBS Enhanced Disclosure (this should be updated every three years) and the opportunity to access appropriate child safeguarding training.
- To ensure that Codes of Conduct are in place for club staff, volunteers, coaches, competitors and parents.
- To ensure confidentiality is maintained and information is only shared on a ‘need to know’ basis.
The level of commitment will include attendance at club meetings and dedicated time should any child protection concerns be raised. You can find out more on the child welfare page.
Club Membership Secretary
The club membership secretary is the key link between the club and the Swim England membership team. They look after the day to day registration of all club members with Swim England.
What do we and the club expect from a club membership secretary?
- To act as a main point of contact for all club member registrations and process Swim England affiliations for members.
- To maintain up-to-date information and contact details of all club members, updating and changes to membership throughout the year.
- Manage the clubs annual subscription and membership renewal process, ensuring membership fees are paid on time.
The level of commitment will include ongoing membership responsibilities. The role will likely be periodical, with more time in particular during the membership renewal period. You can contact the club Membership Secretary through the contact us page.
Club Volunteer Co-ordinator
The club volunteer coordinator is responsible for supporting all volunteers within a club, and most importantly, ensuring they have a meaningful and positive experience.
What we and the club expect from a club volunteer coordinator?
- To act as a main point of contact for volunteers within the club.
- To build effective relationships with all club volunteers and the Swim England County Volunteer Network.
- To support the development of club volunteers by coordinating and helping organise appropriate training to meet their needs.
- To ensure all club volunteers have clearly outlined role descriptions.
- To be responsible for leading the recruitment, induction and support of all club volunteers.
- To establish and manage a volunteer recognition programme within the club, working with closely with the committee to ensure all volunteers feel valued.
- To recognise volunteer contributions through the Swim England National and Regional Awards
- Act as a point of contact between the club and the Swim England Volunteering Team or Regional contact.
- To encourage parents to get involved with the club in some capacity.
The level of commitment will include ongoing weekly responsibilities, particularly in reference to recruiting and inducting new volunteers, and supporting existing volunteers.
The fundraising officer provides a central point of contact for fundraising queries and takes the lead on developing opportunities for accessing grants and funding.
What do we and the club expect from a fundraising officer?
- To identify and target sources of funding for the club in association with the club’s development plan.
- To prepare funding bids in partnership with club committee members as appropriate.
- To establish and develop effective working relationships with key local funding providers.
- To promote and publicise any funding secured for the club through the club newsletters, website and notice board, in association with the Marketing and Press Officer.
The level of commitment required will often be periodical, with more time in particular when preparing funding bids.
The SwimMark coordinator is the key point of contact for SwimMark, Swim England’s recognised kite-mark for the development of effective, ethical and sustainable clubs. The opportunity to gain SwimMark is available to all Swim England affiliated clubs, regardless of size and disciplines covered.
What do we and the club expect from a SwimMark coordinator?
- To coordinate and oversee the clubs SwimMark submission, ensuring that information is correct and meets all the accreditation criteria.
- To maintain regular communication with the Swim England and/or Regional Club Development Officer(s) to ensure information is submitted correctly and on time.
- To update the club and committee on the progress of the SwimMark accreditation.
- To keep abreast of any developments to the SwimMark accreditation programme.
- To be the clubs key point of contact for all SwimMark activities.
There may be a requirement for multiple SwimMark coordinators or to run this as a sub committee.
Competitions Secretary / Meet Manager
The competitions secretary and meet manager are responsible for the development and management the clubs competitions calendar in conjunction with the Head Coach & Committee.
What do we and the club expect from a competitions secretary / meet manager?
- To develop and manage the clubs competitions calendar, working with the committee and Head Coach to agree on all upcoming fixtures.
- To manage the delivery of all competitions hosted and attended by the club, including communications with relevant competition organisers and clubs involved.
- Liaison with the club treasurer to provide accurate financial information including fees and expenses.
- To maintain up-to-date contact details of all qualified technical officials in the club.